Friday, May 7, 2010

For Contemplation: Some poems from Jelaluddin Rumi...

I was listening to The Weepies last night and reading some Jelaluddin Rumi (a poet from the 17th century who was born in Balkh, which is now Afghanistan), and I found myself being particularly inspired and refreshed. 



I thought I would share a couple of the poems that I found. Read over them, and just take some time to dig deep within yourself. Take the chance to weigh your initial reaction to the poems. What is your maker saying to you today? 

Selah. 

If A Blow Comes At You From Heaven:


If a blow comes to you from Heaven,
be alert to a gift of honor after it;
for He is not the King to slap you
without giving you a crown
and a throne on which to rest.
The whole world is worth only a gnat's wing,
but a single slap may bring an infinite reward.
Slip your neck nimbly out of this golden collar
that is the world, and take the slaps that come from God.
The prophets suffered those blows on the neck,
and from that affliction they lifted their heads high.
But always be present, attentive, and ready in yourself,
youthful one, in order that He may find you at home.
Otherwise He will take back His gift of honor,
saying "I found no one there."



Secretly We Spoke:


Secretly we spoke,
     that wise one and me.
I said, 
Tell me the secrets of the world.
He said, 
Sh... Let silence
Tell you the secrets of the world.



The Grapes of My Body Can Only Become Wine:



The grapes of my body can only become wine
After the winemaker tramples me.
I surrender my spirit like grapes to his trampling
So my inmost heart can blaze and dance with joy.
Although the grapes go on weeping blood and sobbing
"I cannot bear any more anguish, any more cruelty"
The trampler stuffs cotton in his ears: "I am not working in ignorance
You can deny me if you want, you have every excuse,
But it is I who am the Master of this Work.
And when through my Passion you reach Perfection,
You will never be done praising my name."




By Jelaluddin Rumi

1 comment: